- Western Mass Social Studies PLC - Now requests online registration. Next meeting is Dec. 7 at 4:30 at a cafe or tavern in Northampton (TBA).
- Register Oct. 26 MCSS Conf. in Marlborough. Psychology, History, & more!
- Last chance to register for Fall Emerging America workshops. (Below).
FALL EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - RegistrationWhen did the U.S. Govt. begin to take responsibility for people with disabilities? How can I integrate Disability History into my curriculum?
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources. Oct. 25 & Nov. 10 - 8:00am-4:00pm; Dec. 20 - 4-6pm. Northampton - Meet 15-hour requirement for license renewal re SPED. Taught by experienced classroom teacher, Laurie Risler and by Emerging America’s Rich Cairn. $65. Lunch/dinner & materials provided. Option for 1 grad credit Westfield State - extra fee of $125.
- First to Fight: American Volunteers in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) FREE. Oct. 29 - Northampton - Breakouts in Spanish and in English. Led by Kelley Brown, Easthampton HS. Peter Carroll, Stanford Univ., & Sebastiaan Faber, Oberlin College.
- Feinberg Family Lecture Series: The U.S. in the Age of Mass Incarceration. Sponsored by UMass Amherst Dept. of History. No registration required. Do sign in!
- Nov. 1 - UMass - Concentration Camps, American Style: Japanese Americans & WWII. Franklin Odo, Amherst College.
- Oct. 25-26 - Online Conference - Library of Congress - 15 1-hr sessions. Over two days, there will be 15 one-hour sessions facilitated by Library specialists, instructional experts from the Library’s Teaching with Primary Sources Consortium and other recognized K-12 leaders. Session topics range from assessments and literacy to historical newspapers and kindergarten historians. All sessions will focus on the effective use of Library of Congress primary-source documents.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS TEACHER BLOG
- Resources for National History Day. Post.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS and RESOURCES - Statewide & on the Web
- Oct. 18 - 4pm - UMass Amherst, Hasbrouck 138 - Charlana Simmons - Diversity in Higher Ed.
- Dec. 2-4 - National Council for the Social Studies Conf. Washington DC.
- Slavery in America and the World - New online database.
- Teaching Tolerance -Lessons for Grades 3-5 on Modern Movements and Immigration.
- Mount Vernon - George Washington and the Election of 1789.