PLEASE HELP! I need input on two key topics:
- Test and/or Review Geography DDM Pilot:
- One class period. 6th or 7th grade. Details below.
- I NEED INPUT! Am advising teachers at Mass Dept. of Mental Health. Email input to firstname.lastname@example.org – by Monday, June 8:
- Top go-to online resources for World Geography.
- Top go-to online resources for Ancient History.
- What do you think of Pearson Prentice-Hall textbooks
- World Geography: Building a Global Perspective
- History of Our World: The Early Ages
- Last eNews till late July will be June 17.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS Teaching with Primary Sources @ the Collaborative
Click here to register
– Deadline: June 15
- Easthampton - America Comes of Age: Exploring Reform in the Early 20th Century (1900-1940). June 29 to July 2
- Deerfield - African-Americans in Early New England through Primary Sources. July 7.
- Derry, NH – Veterans, Workers, and Citizens: Disability & American History through Primary Sources. July 24.
- Melrose - History in Motion: Developing Multimedia Primary Sources. July 13 & 23, 8:30-3:00 + 2-hour in Fall. $400 stipend. - FULL: REGISTER WITH DEPOSIT FOR WAIT LIST.
- Springfield - Veterans Voices: Oral History, the Springfield Armory, & the Library of Congress. July 14.
- Teaching Primary Sources with Diverse Learners
- July 22-23 – Northampton
- July 28-29 or 29-30 – Melrose
- Northampton - Teaching History and Literature (K-5). August 12.
Library of Congress Teacher Blog and other Resources:
- Zora Neale Hurston and the Federal Writers’ Project. Novelist, playwright, and ethnographer.
- June in History at the Library of Congress: Henry Clay and “The Great Compromise,” Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Frank Lloyd Wright, Charles Lindbergh, Yosemite, and the Brooklyn Bridge.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS & RESOURCES
- May 2 to November 29. “We Are One: Mapping America’s Road from Revolution to Independence.” Exhibition of maps, pictures, letters, artifacts, and documents. (Very cool! - The Editor.) Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library. Sign up for teacher workshops.
- Public Radio - Summer Listen Current program. Curriculum on current events, history, geography, and more.
- Boston Federal Reserve resources. Includes articles on economics of homelessness and hunger, education, innovation.
GEOGRAPHY DDM PILOT
A teacher team drafted a documents-based DDM assessment for 7th Grade Geography. We need teachers to test the materials with students and send feedback. This assessment addresses the new C3 National Social Studies Standards and the Common Core. It asks students to analyze primary and secondary sources on the Quabbin (pre-test) and the Aswan Dam (post-test). It aims to be interesting for students in its own right!
Please pass this request on to:
- 6th grade teachers to pilot the PRE-TEST. (Students who have not yet taken Geography.)
- 7th grade teachers whose students are just now completing a Geography course to pilot the POST-TEST.
Find the DDM at the Emerging America downloads page
. In the DDM PILOT Materials section, download the "Read-Me-First" instructions and "Geography-DDM-2015-PILOT" – in either PDF or Word.
Instructions and a link to a brief online survey are provided. http://goo.gl/forms/zkgQrrnh9o
The pilot should take one class period.
Deadline to complete pilot, June 15.
Weekly (more or less) news & events
Reply to email@example.com
to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.