- National Geographic Geo Challenge - March 30 at Elms College - Needs Volunteers to Appraise Projects - Contact Information
- Feb. 12, 1-4pm - Support Civic Engagement legislation at the Massachusetts Statehouse. Mass Civic Learning Coalition.
- FINAL version of 2018 History and Social Science Curriculum Framework now available. Link to 2018 Massachusetts Act to Promote and Enhance Civic Engagement.
- Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies - Seeks Nominations for Educator Awards:
- Excellence in Teaching Social Studies - High School, Middle, Elementary (1 each), Outstanding Supervisor, Excellence in Teaching - Geography, Civics, Economics (1 for each subject), New Teacher (first 5 years)
- Online Form - March 1 Deadline
Study at the Library of Congress this Summer![caption id="attachment_11882" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Library of Congress Thomas Jefferson Building, Washington, D.C. Contributor Name: Highsmith, Carol M., Created between 1980 and 2006.[/caption] Library of Congress Summer Institutes: Applications Open - An Opportunity Not to be Missed!
- Open Sessions: July 8-12 and July 29-August 2
- Science, Technology, and Engineering Focus - July 15-19
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.Contact email@example.com. HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources. Instructors Rich Cairn & Alison Noyes. Meets 15-hour Massachusetts requirement for high quality professional development on teaching students with disabilities and diverse learners. Grad credit available. Register.
- Feb. 27 and March 6 - Northampton.
- March 27 to May 7 - FULLY ONLINE!
- April 23 and May 21 - Northampton.
- April 3 & April 10, 2019, 9am-3pm - Boston Public Library, Leventhal Map Center. Register with Leventhal.
- July 7-12 - Springfield, Sturbridge, Greenfield, Northampton, and Holyoke.
- July 21-26 - - Springfield, Sturbridge, Greenfield, Northampton, and Holyoke.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week - YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Best of Library of Congress Blog Posts
- Published Works Enter the Public Domain in the United States for First Time in Twenty Years
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S.
- January 27 - 2pm - Historic Deerfield Winter Lecture Series: The Indian World of George Washington” - Info
- February 2 - 11am-noon - Nolumbeka Project: An Island Perspective on Wampum - Info
- March 2 - 9am-1pm - Five College Center for East Asian Studies Workshop: Reading Scrolls from East Asia - Info and Registration
- March 30 - 9am-1pm - Five College for East Asian Studies Workshop: Ghosts in Chinese Religion and Culture - Info and Registration
- April 15-May 5 - Harvard School of Education Online Course: Teaching Students to Ask Their Own Questions: Best Practices in the Question Formulation Technique - Info and Registration
Summer 2019 Events:
- NEH Landmarks of American History and Culture Workshops for Teachers - Living and Writing Deliberately: The Concord Landscapes and Legacy of Henry Thoreau - Concord, MA - Information and Registration
- July 14-19
- July 21-26
- Bureau of Labor Statistics published updated economic summary sheets - Info
- C-SPAN Classroom - Lesson Plans, Video, Classroom Deliberations - Info
- George Washington’s Mount Vernon - Music in the Revolutionary War