LIBRARY OF CONGRESS TPS-CES - EVENTS
DEADLINE APPROACHES: UMass Amherst - CES History Institute - Register by Dec. 15 Earn 10 PDPs & $50 gift card for attending any two Feinberg Lectures plus two sessions at CES in Northampton, January 22 and February 26 – 4:30-7:00pm. NEW - Additional sessions:
- Tues., Dec. 9, 4:00pm – Center for the Yiddish Book: “So how do you like America?”: Discussion for teachers – Josh Lambert, visiting professor of English at UMass Amherst. MUST PRE-REGISTER.
- The gender and immigration conference in January is Thursday, Feb. 26 and Friday, Feb. 27, NOT Friday and Saturday.
- There is a scheduled Feinberg Lecture April 6.
NEW FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- Frederick Douglass.
- 1912 Lawrence “Bread and Roses Strike”
- December in History at the Library of Congress: Wright Brothers, death of Washington.
TOP RESOURCES FROM THE NCSS CONFERENCE - BOSTON
- NCSS - College, Career, & Citizenship Framework (C3) www.socialstudies.org/c3 This is the future of the Social Studies. Download it. Learn it.
- AMAZING booklet of exemplary curriculum based on C3 from 15 leading social studies orgs. “Teaching the C3 Framework: Exploring Inquiry-Based Instruction in the Social Studies.” (I think a benefit of membership, but making sure.)
- Periodic Table of the Presidents - Geek cool!
- Teaching Tolerance - Effective and balanced FREE curriculum to end racism, sexism, classism, homophobia.
- Massachusetts Geographic Alliance - Workshops and resources.
- eBook versions of Library of Congress Primary Source Sets
- From Dr. David Pook:
- “Tools for Teachers: Close Reading & Text-Dependent Questions” (Aspen Institute)
- “Understanding the CCSS: What They Are and How They Work: Choosing, Teaching, and Assessing Complex Texts”
OTHER RECOMMENDED RESOURCES & EVENTS
Free 30-hour course, Sundays, Jan. 18-Mar. 29. - National Consortium for Teaching about Asia. Tabor Academy History Department. Marion, MA. Five College Center for East Asian Studies. Student documentary video competition by C-SPAN. Cash awards up to $5,000. Due Jan. 20. Free “Get Started with Service-Learning” 2-day workshops sponsored by Mass ESE. Thursday, January 29th and Friday, January 30th (8:30-3:30 both days). Doubletree, Leominster Register Here (register by January 22nd) OR Wednesday, February 25th and Thursday, February 26th (8:30-3:30 both days). Tower Hill Botanic Gardens, Boylston. Register Here (by February 18th)