National Council for the Social Studies Conference - December 2-4, 2022 - Philadelphia
Mark your calendars! - Info on NCSS Conference.
Join thousands of colleagues from across the U.S. at this powerful and engaging event. Hundreds of workshops and posters. An outstanding line-up of speakers and resources.
Emerging America Workshops on Inclusion
How to Integrate Disability History into the Curriculum: We Can and We Must
- Rich Cairn, Emerging America
- Friday, December 2 - 10:05-10:35am - Marriott Franklin 11 (4th floor)
- History class typically ignores disability or uncritically portrays objects of pity. Free, primary source-rich lessons recast common history topics using a lens of an empowering centuries-long struggle for equality.
“Towards a Rosetta Stone” to Translate History Activities with Primary Sources
- Casey Cullen, Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies, Westborough High School
- Alison Noyes, Emerging America & MCSS TPS project
- Friday, December 2 - 3:10-3:40pm - Marriott Franklin 12 (4th floor)
- Try out engaging history activities with primary sources that translate history content to literacy learning objectives. Customize a unit plan with embedded guidance for teaching English Learners.
Emerging America Poster Presentations
Pennsylvania Convention Center Reg Bridge West - 200 Level (across from NCSS registration)
Friday, December 2 - 10:00-11:00am
- Teaching Disability History through Primary Sources
- Are multilingual students on your EAD roadmap?
Saturday, December 3 - 11:30am - 12:30pm
- Social Studies and History Methods That Include –– and Strengthen –– English learners