EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 33 for September 5, 2018
- Implementing the 2018 Framework. District leaders in History and Social Science should register for DESE Instructional Support Network: "Practices, Pedagogy, & Principles: Engaging Students through History & Social Science Education". First session is Oct. 22 (Sturbridge) or 23 (Boston) - Info
- Michigan study shows improvement in learning from project based learning - Info
Resources to support implementation of 2018 History & Social Science Framework
Fairmount School, 1711 Massachusetts Ave.
Women studying newspapers and map at Fairmount School 1920-ca. 1950.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources. Meets 15-hour Massachusetts requirement for professional development on teaching students with disabilities. Earn 22.5 PDPs or 1 grad credit (extra fee applies) from Westfield State University. Directly supports content and Practice Standards of 2018 Massachusetts History and Social Science Curriculum Framework! Offered twice: Register.
- Oct. 24 and Nov. 8 - CES, Northampton.
- Nov. 7 and Nov. 14 - Drury High School, North Adams (Free to North Adams teachers.)
Special one-day workshop on Accessing Inquiry for English Learners (no PDPs or grad credit):
- Oct. 10 - 8am - 3:00pm - EdAdvance, Danbury Connecticut. Note separate registration page.
Integrating Civic Engagement Projects Across the Curriculum. How will YOU meet the new Massachusetts requirement to offer civic engagement projects? Learn the basics. Generate and test fly a specific action plan. Taught by national service-learning and civic engagement leader, Rich Cairn. Register.
- Oct. 4 and Nov. 28 - CES, Northampton.
- Jan. 23 and March 13 - CES, Northampton.
Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. Examine new 2018 Massachusetts History and Social Science Curriculum Framework and develop plans to align your curriculum. Access a wealth of primary and secondary resources. Led by veteran K-5 teacher Laurie Risler. Register.
- Oct. 16 and 25 - CES, Northampton.
World Geography and History: Designing Grades 6-7. Gain content knowledge in World History and Geography. Unpack, examine, and align courses to new History and Social Science standards. Offered twice. Register.
- Nov. 15 and Dec. 6 - CES, Northampton.
- Jan. 29 and Feb. 5 - CES, Northampton.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week - YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
- New Collections:
- Frederick Law Olmsted Papers - Includes over 24,000 items (1838 to 1903) - documents the private and professional life of Olmsted
- Robert Lansing Papers - writings and reflections total 600 pages of diary entries, reflecting key interactions between Woodrow Wilson and his cabinet members regarding importance decisions during WWI.
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
Five Questions with Tamara Rorie, Braille Officer, National Library Services (NLS) for the Blind and Physically Handicapped - Tamara work as a liaison between various sections of NLS as they interact with our braille products.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- September 6 - 6pm - Umass 2018 Feinberg Family Distinguished Lecture Series - Opening Panel: Reawakening the Black Radical Imagination - Info
- September 8 - 10am - Holyoke History Room - Beauty in the Details: Exploring the Styles of Victorian Architecture (Workshop and Walking Tour) - Call (413)420-8107
- Saturdays 11am & 1pm - September 8, 15, October 13, and 27 - Enchanted Circle Theater - A Fiery and Still Voice: William Currant Bryant at Home (Fee) - Info
- September 13 - 5:30pm - UMass 2018 Feinberg Family Distinguished Lecture Series - State Violence and Revolution: Lessons from El Salvador - Info
- September 20 - 7-8pm - Five College Center for East Asian Studies - Japan 1945: A Marine’s Photographs from Ground Zero - Register
- September 20 - 6pm - Umass 2018 Feinberg Family Distinguished Lecture Series - Keynote Address by Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II - Info
- September 25 - 7:30pm - 43 Church Street, Greenfield, MA - Historical Society of Greenfield, MA - WWI in Greenfield, MA - Info
- September 27-November 28 - Five College Center for East Asian Studies - Seminar: NCTA National Online Seminar: Korea in the Modern World, Part 1: 1894-1953 - Flyer
- September 29 - 10am-1pm - Peabody Essex Museum - K-12 Educator Workshop - Registration
- October 15 - 6pm - Holyoke History Room - Liberty’s War: An Engineer’s Memoir of the Merchant Marine, 1942-1945
- October 29 - 7:30am-5pm - MCSS Annual Statewide One-Day Fall Conference - Marlborough, MA - Info
- Ford’s Theater - Lincoln Online Oratory Project - Apply to Have Your Class Participate - Apply
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.
Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.