EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 37 for October 3, 2018
- Oct. 15 - 5:00-6:30pm - Free Webinar - Understanding the Standards for History and Social Sciences Practice - Kelley Brown, Easthampton High School - Exciting new skills component of the 2018 Social Studies standards. Register.
Teaching students to
"demonstrate civic knowledge, skills, and dispositions.”
Info on Webinar
America gains a famous citizen
America gains a famous citizen - 1940
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
Contact email@example.com. HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources. Meets 15-hour Massachusetts requirement for professional development on teaching students with disabilities. Earn 22.5 PDPs or 1 grad credit (extra fee applies) from Westfield State University. Directly supports content and Practice Standards of 2018 Massachusetts History and Social Science Curriculum Framework! Offered twice: Register.
- Oct. 24 and Nov. 8 - CES, Northampton.
- Nov. 7 and Nov. 14 - Drury High School, North Adams (Free to North Adams teachers.)
Special one-day workshop on Accessing Inquiry for English Learners (no PDPs or grad credit):
- Oct. 10 - 8am - 3:00pm - EdAdvance, Danbury Connecticut. Note separate registration page.
Integrating Civic Engagement Projects Across the Curriculum. How will YOU meet the new Massachusetts requirement to offer civic engagement projects? Learn the basics. Generate and test fly a specific action plan. Taught by national service-learning and civic engagement leader, Rich Cairn. Register.
- Jan. 23 and March 13 - CES, Northampton.
Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. Examine new 2018 Massachusetts History and Social Science Curriculum Framework and develop plans to align your curriculum. Access a wealth of primary and secondary resources. Led by veteran K-5 teacher Laurie Risler. Register.
- Oct. 16 and 25 - CES, Northampton.
World Geography and History: Designing Grades 6-7. Gain content knowledge in World History and Geography. Unpack, examine, and align courses to new History and Social Science standards. Offered twice. Register.
- Nov. 15 and Dec. 6 - CES, Northampton.
- Jan. 29 and Feb. 5 - CES, Northampton.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week - YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Five Questions with Carolyn Bennett, 2018-2019 Library of Congress Teacher in Residence
- Five Questions with Kellie Taylor, Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellow
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- October 29 - Mass Council for the Social Studies Fall Conference. Marlborough. Register.
- Global Boston free unit plan and resources on Immigration History and current data. https://globalboston.bc.edu/index.php/for-teachers/
- Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives Free Journal - Volunteer. Fall 2018. http://www.albavolunteer.org/
- Mass Civic Learning Coalition - Continues to track state legislation. Planning implementation and further advocacy.
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.