EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 7, Issue 16 for May 6, 2020
- U.S. Poet Laureate Joy Harjo Appointed for a Second Term - During her second term, Harjo will launch a new Library of Congress collection and online map featuring Native poets and poetry.
The David Ruggles Center introduces a new hands-on classroom curriculum of abolitionist history using primary sources. Visit davidrugglescenter.org/
curriculum to learn more.
Massachusetts Civic Learning for All launches new website. MCLC's website now has a comprehensive online resources portal and we are beginning to host a series of free webinars. Please click here for more.
Mass DESE revamped its new homepage: http://www.doe.mass.edu/.
Massachusetts placed first in the We The People National Finals Challenge! Easthampton High School led by Kelley Brown took first place.
NEW RESOURCES FOR TEACHING ONLINE
See Resources for Education During a Pandemic for complete list.
- Teaching Tolerance: Supporting Students With Learning Disabilities During School Closures
Emerging America Summer Courses Online
America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond - Info & Registration
Led by national scholars Sebastiaan Faber & Peter Carroll
Memory Battles of the Spanish Civil War. Vanderbilt University Press. Author Sebastiaan Faber, Oberlin College professor of Spanish language and culture, will examine principles of propaganda and ideology, with applications from the 1920s to the social media era.
[Image description: Book cover, title appears over a close-up photo of woman with a toddler on her shoulder and a young child beside her in a tightly-packed crowd, raised fists of others visible in front and behind. The toddler and child look toward the camera, and each also have fists raised.]
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES
PDPs / OR optional grad credit available from Westfield State University.
- America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond - Instructor: Kelley Brown. Scholars Peter Carroll and Sebastiaan Faber. PDPs or 1 graduate credit. Register.
- June 30 to July 28 - ONLINE
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources - Instructors: Rich Cairn & Alison Noyes. Meets state PD requirement, with attention to teachers of History and Social Science and the Humanities. PDPs or 1 graduate credit. Register.
- July 6-31 – ONLINE
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with interest in working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Check out many great resources posted in the TPS Teaching Online with Primary Sources group.
- Spark Your Album! Students use website creation tool Spark for their projects.
- Sea Monsters that Inspire. In Maps & Geography group.
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- "Office Hours" features for April 28th and 30th: Tour the Jefferson Building from Home and Resources for Law Day
- Celebrating the Library's 220th Anniversary with Outreach to Teachers
- Celebrate National Poetry Month with 50 Newly Streaming Audio Recordings
- Teaching Civic Ideals with Primary Sources: Due Process of Law
- Free Webinar May 6: Introduction to the Question Formulation Technique for Primary Source Learning
Thursdays in May - Remote Learning for Civic Action - Constitutional Rights Foundation - Information and Registration
May 21 - 11am-12pm (Webinar) - MA Civics for All: How to Make It All Come Alive During Remote Learning - Information and Registration
June 16 - 9am-5pm (Webinar) - TPS Eastern Region Conference 2020 (Online) - Information and Registration
TPS Mars - Hill University - Summer Institute
JFK Presidential Library and Museum -
- Facing History and Ourselves: Sterotypes, Media and Islamophobia
- Periodic Presidents - The Law Rules on Law Day
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
- Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.
Content created and featured in partnership with the TPS program does not indicate an endorsement by the Library of Congress.