Strengthening Civic Learning in the Commonwealth - 01/22/15 - Millbury Memorial Jr/Sr High School; 4-7 pm. Working group invites participation from teachers, administrators, policy makers… with concerns and recommendations on preparing next generation for civic engagement. 3 minutes to present. Bring written copy of testimony. Register by 01/15/15.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS TPS-CES - EVENTS
Mark your calendars and watch this space for details!
- March 14 - First to Fight: American Volunteers Against Fascism in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) - Propaganda posters and letters from the Library of Congress and the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives. Site: Boston area TBA.
- March 21 & 28 (2-day workshop; 03/21 - 9:00am-3:00pm & 03/28 - 9:00am-1:00pm) - Landscape of Revolution - Boston Public Library Norman B. Leventhal Map Center and Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Program of the Collaborative for Educational Services.
- June 29 to July 2 (with half-day follow-up in October) - America Comes of Age: Exploring Reform in the Early 20th Century (1900-1940) - Library of Congress TPS Program at CES
NEW FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- NOT TO BE MISSED! Library of Congress and Teaching Tolerance. Free Webinars on The Civil Rights Act (CRA) of 1964. Info & register. All 4:00pm EST.
- January 22 – Civil Rights and Analyzing Images
- February 19 – Building Literacy Skills and Teaching about the Civil Rights Movement with Primary Sources
- March 19 – Identifying Bias & Perspective when Teaching about CRA of 1964
- April 16 – Selecting Primary Sources to Examine the CRA of 1964
- Teacher blog:
- Images re Magna Carta.
OTHER RECOMMENDED RESOURCES & EVENTS
- We’re History: Online history magazine. Stories on all aspects of American History. Scholarly yet engaging–even fun! www.werehistory.org
- Engaging Young People with History: An Evening with Young Adult and Middle Grade Novelists. Wednesday, January 7, 2015. 7:00pm. Forbes Library, Northampton. Jeannine Atkins, Becoming Little Women; Burleigh Muten, Miss Emily; Ellen Wittlinger, This Means War!; Jane Yolen, Centaur Rising. www.forbeslibrary.org/
- U.S. Department of Education 2015-2016 Teaching Ambassador Fellowship applications due January 20, 2015. Applicant Information page. Questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Best Picture Books of 2014 includes My Uncle’s Coat on early 20th Century Immigration.
- Museum of Our Industrial Heritage created a fascinating multi-media presentation on a high tech machine tool ("tap & die") company in Greenfield Massachusetts. (Online exhibit focused on 1897.)
- New Book: Rebels in Paradise: Sketches of Northampton Abolitonists. By Bruce Laurie. 184 pp., 10 illus. University of Massachusetts Press January 2015. ISBN: 978-1-62534-118-1. $22.95
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org eNews Weekly (more or less) news & events Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list. Register for CES events.