- Geography DDM Pilot - Please help us out! Details below.
- It’s History! Survey respondents said: Future grad credits and PDPs to be History Content.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS Teaching with Primary Sources @ the Collaborative
Register here by June 15
$85 Deposit check required to complete registration
- Easthampton - America Comes of Age: Exploring Reform in the Early 20th Century (1900-1940). June 29 to July 2 ( + ½-day in Oct.). (3 grad credit/67.5 PDPs)
- Deerfield - African-Americans in Early New England through Primary Sources. July 7. (10 PDPs)
- Derry, NH – Veterans, Workers, and Citizens: Disability & American History through Primary Sources. (10 PDPs)
- July 8 – Watertown - CANCELLED.
- July 24 - Derry, New Hampshire
- Melrose - History in Motion: Developing Multimedia Primary Sources. July 13 & 23, 8:30-3:00 + 2-hour in Fall. $400 stipend. (1 grad credit/22.5 PDPs). WORKSHOP CURRENTLY FULL - REGISTER & SUBMIT DEPOSIT FOR WAITING LIST.
- Springfield - Veterans Voices: Oral History, the Springfield Armory, & the Library of Congress. July 14. (10 PDPs).
- Northampton & Melrose – Teaching Primary Sources with Diverse Learners: Blending History & Common Core Instruction. (One grad credit/22.5 PDPs).
- July 22-23 – Northampton
- July 28-29 or 29-30 – Melrose
- Northampton - Teaching History and Literature (K-5). August 12. (10 PDPS)
Library of Congress Teacher Blog and other Resources:
Library of Congress Webinars:
- Students Connect with Veterans: Harlem Veteran Project.
- Analyzing persuasive techniques in historical media: Child Labor.
- Context for Of Mice and Men.
- Civil War Photography: New Technologies & New Uses - Library of Congress Primary Source Set.
- New eBooks of Primary Source Sets: Jim Crow, Children’s Live, Industrial Revolution.
- The Library of Congress involves students in collecting and archiving material from the Web. Check out K-12 Web Archiving about the program and engage with this new, vital set of primary sources.
Other Recommended Resources
- October 27-28 - wholly online: Teaching with Primary Sources National Conference.
- June 1 - 9:00am - 4:30pm - Massachusetts History Conference “Chew on This: History of Food” - Hogan Campus Center, College of Holy Cross, Worcester. Register.
- June 1 - 8:00am - 4:15pm - 2015 Massachusetts Conf on Service and Volunteering - Sheraton Framingham Hotel & Conf Center. Register.
- June 11 - 6:00-9:00pm - “No Taxation without Representation: Stamp Act” - Mary Babson Fuhrer - American Antiquarian Society. Register.
- June 19, 2015 - June 21, 2015 , 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. Schooldays in New England: 1650-1900. Dublin Seminar for New England Folklife - Old Deerfield.
- June 20 - All Day. Springfield Armory - Exhibitions and activities. Armory Day. Facebook page.
- June 25 and 26 8:30am - 3:30pm Get Started with Service-Learning. Free. Holiday Inn and Suites, Marlborough. Register.
- July 28-29 - Visualizing the American Revolution - Leventhal Map Center - Boston Public Library.
- August 12 - Edward M. Kennedy Institute on the U.S. Senate. Register.
GEOGRAPHY DDM PILOT
A teacher team drafted a documents-based DDM assessment for 7th Grade Geography. We need teachers to test the materials with students and send feedback. This assessment addresses the new C3 National Social Studies Standards and the Common Core. It asks students to analyze primary and secondary sources on the Quabbin (pre-test) and the Aswan Dam (post-test). It aims to be interesting for students in its own right!
Please pass this request on to:
- 6th grade teachers to pilot the PRE-TEST. (Students who have not yet taken Geography.)
- 7th grade teachers whose students are just now completing a Geography course to pilot the POST-TEST.
Find the DDM at Emerging America downloads page
. In the DDM PILOT Materials section, download the "Read-Me-First" instructions and "Geography-DDM-2015-PILOT" – in either PDF or Word.
Instructions and a link to a brief online survey are provided.
The pilot should take one class period.
Deadline to complete pilot, June 15.
Weekly (more or less) news & events
Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org
to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.