EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 39 for November 1, 2017
- UPDATE ON Mass LEGISLATION & STANDARDS. http://www.doe.mass.edu/frameworks/ela/2017-06.pdf
- Library of Congress Chronicling America adds newspapers through 1943! Also see new filters for languages and for ethnic newspapers.
Westfield State University teacher education students in professor Nick Aieta’s course place “thought bubbles” on a projection of an Ellis Island photo. Emerging America’s Rich Cairn models techniques to make primary sources accessible to all learners.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info
Can I book an Accessing Inquiry workshop in my district? YES! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- National History Day resources.
- Album - Great Migration of African Americans to the North and West
- New features at Chronicling America online newspapers.
- Congressional Data Challenge.
- Battle of Dunkirk: Fact vs. Fiction.
Other New Resources at the Library of Congress:
- Martin Luther a Priest, Heretic, and Outlaw: The Reformation at 500. Online exhibition.
- Ulysses S. Grant Papers now online.
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Perspectives on WWI - Responses to the Armistice.
- Celebrating Halloween through “Danse Macabre.”
- Introducing Students to Primary Source Analysis.
- A Different View of the Statue of Liberty.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S.
- Nov. 1 - 5-8pm - Historic Northampton - Opening Reception the Nov. 10 - Dec. 22 “Vanished: The Hospital on the Hill” photo exhibit of Northampton State Hospital.
- Nov. 4 - 11am - 5:30 pm - Faneuil Hall & Old State House, Boston. Reenactment of colonial Boston town meeting. Contact - email@example.com
- Nov. 4 - 2-4pm - “Puritan Girl, Mohawk Girl” Historian, John Demos - Historic Deerfield
- Nov. 7 - 4pm - Hasbrouck 109 - UMass Amherst - “Collaborative Learning Spaces and Maker Spaces” For info. Stemedfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Nov. 8 - 1pm - Online Interactive Q & A with Filmmaker Lynn Novick about the PBS series The Vietnam War. Co-sponsored by National History Day.
- Nov. 11 - 9am - 4pm - Edwards Church, Northampton - “Rediscovering Jane Addams” - panel. https://www.facebook.com/RediscoveringJaneAddams/
- Nov. 13 - 9am - 11:30am - CES. Northampton. Free Update on the Mass Educator Evaluation System.
- Nov. 18 - 8am - 9pm - TED Talks - JFK Library, Boston
- March 11-13 - Washington - Humanities Advocacy Day
- Classroom resources on the Iran Nuclear Deal from the California History and Social Science Project.
- Model UN. Also see this news article.
- First Day Covers. Using postage stamps to spark interest.
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.