EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 6 for February 7, 2018
- DRAFT SOCIAL STUDIES FRAMEWORK - Info. Input SURVEY! Open to April 2.
- Forums to Discuss Frameworks - Register through ESE:
- SNOW DAY TODAY (CORRECTION–Again!): NOW MARCH 5 - 4-6pm - CES, Northampton. Discussion forum on draft Social Studies Frameworks. Western Mass Social Studies PLC. What do other districts plan? What are your plans?
- Southeast. March 9 - 2-3pm. MCSS Conf. Bridgewater State Univ.
- Northeast. March 13. 4-5:30pm. Salem State Univ.
- Boston. March 21. 3-4:30pm. ESE, Malden.
- Welcome Jeff Zilch, East Longmeadow HS as our new Digital Materials Coordinator for http://EmergingAmerica.org! Many new resources coming!
- iCivics DBQuest Survey by Feb. 20 (prizes for completing survey)
Challenging new standards are coming!
How ready are you to support ALL your students?
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS:
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources:
- March 12 & 22 - Dutchess County BOCES - Poughkeepsie, NY. ($35) Registration. (12 NY CEUs or grad credit).
- March 13 & April 3 - 8:30am-4:00pm - Boston ($72.50) FREE to Boston Public Schools teachers. BPS teachers contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need instructions on registering. Registration.
- April 5 & 23 - 8:30am-4pm - Westford Academy. ($72.50) FREE to Westford Public Schools teachers. Registration.
- April 24 & May 15 - 8am - 4pm - Northampton ($72.50) Registration. Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
- March 23 & 24 - 8:45am - 3:45pm - Plymouth North High School - America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond ($35). Registration.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feedback Exchange in the Creative Process
- 19th Amendment - Women and the Vote
- Frederick Douglass at 200
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Who Should You Show Your Writing To? Feedback advice from Jacqueline Woodson.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- February 8, 12, & 23 - repeated - Ford’s Theater Live Virtual Events
- Feb. 8 - 6-7:30 - From Western Mass to the World: W.E.B. DuBois - Camesha Scruggs - https://wistariahurst.org/
- Feb. 17 - 10am - Basil Dorsey Day: Four Families and the Fugitive Slave Law - David Ruggles Center, Florence, MA
- Feb. 27 - 7-8pm - Webinar - Jingdezhen Ceramics - Stephen Powers - Five Colleges Center for East Asian Studies
- March 9 - 9am - 3pm - Bridgewater State University - Going Global on Geography Education conference. Keynote - Robert Hellstrom. Discuss draft frameworks. MCSS. http://www.masscouncil.org/
- March 24 & April 28 - 3:30am - 1:30pm - Bridgewater State. Mass Geography Network.
- April 12-14 - NERC - Hartford - Bob Bain, Kathy Swann, workshops, & more! - Register.
- June 21 - July 5 - Japan Trip - Foreign Policy Research Institute - Fees.
- Une 22-24 - Dublin Seminar: Religious Spaces - Historic Deerfield
- Disability History/Archives Consortium Newsletter - Feb. 2018
- February & March. League of Women Voters of Massachusetts' - "Get in the Game and Vote!” Student Video Contest. High School Students (at least 13 years old). Students create 30-second video on theme. Shown statewide. Cash prizes awarded - State House June 2018! www.pacio.info
- Bios of Lesser Known Black Leaders - Black History Ed Zone
- PBS Learning Media. Black America Since MLK. Lesson on Malcolm X.
- 110 Rules of Civility from George Washington - Mt Vernon.
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.