EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 22 for May 30, 2018
- The Mass House of Representatives votes this week on the Civic Engagement bill. Calls to give your input and thanks their stands do matter. The House passed $1 million for implementation. (The Senate already passed $1.5 million.)
- We reopened the Emerging America summer course on the American War in Vietnam. Register today!
- Human Rights Educators - USA - seeks applicants for two open steering committee seats - Eligibility criteria and nomination forms
- Ford’s Theater - Lincoln Online Oratory Project - Applications due September 7, 2018 - Info
Support New Framework in Grades K-5
Elementary teachers can learn and plan implementation of K-5 Civics & Social Studies with veteran teacher-leader, Laurie Risler July 18-20. Tell your colleagues!
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
Contact email@example.com. ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS Register NOW for June. Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners. “Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available. Mark your calendars:
- June 26-27 - North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools. Register
- June 28-29 - Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools. Register
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- NEW! July 5 - August 5 - Fully online. The American War in Vietnam - Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- NOTE: REDUCED INTRO PRICE SUMMER 2018. July 18-20 - CES, Northampton - Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- NEW! July 30-31 - Boston Public Library - Immigration and Maps - Registration now open
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Uncle Sam: Another Look at an American Icon
- Uncle Sam: American Symbol, American Icon
- How the Playground Movement Made a Case for Play
- June 2 - 1-4pm - Mass History Day Celebrates Douglass: A Bicentennial Forum - Roxbury Community College - Info and Registration
- June 9 - 10am-1pm - Sojourner Truth Memorial Committee - Talk a Walk in Sojourner Truth’s Shoes - Info and Registration
- July 16-19 - 9am-4pm - Elms College (Chicopee, MA) and Castleton University (Vermont) - Geo-Inquiry Summer Institute - Info
- July 16-20 - Historic Deerfield Outdoors - The River, Drifting Continents, Dinosaurs, and a Glacial Lake: Understanding the Amazing Stories - Info and Registration
- July 18-20 - MA Historical Society - Loyalism in the Era of the American Revolution - 45 PDPs or 2 grad credits - Info and RSVP
- July 23-27- 9am-5:30pm - The University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA) - A is for Everything: How Typography Shapes Our Language and Culture - 3 credits (fee) - Info and Registration
- July 23-27- 9am-5:30pm - The University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA) - The City as Primary Source: Connecting the City, Local Collections, and the Library of Congress - 3 credits (fee) - Info and Registration
- July 23-27- 9am-5:30pm - The University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA) - Comics + Graphic Novels - 3 credits (fee) - Info and Registration
- July 30-31- Boston Public Schools: Introduction to Mass History Day - $250 stipend and 45 PDPs for Boston Public School Teachers - Info and Registration
- July 30-August 3 - Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies, New England History Teachers Association, and Massachusetts Historical Society - Principles and Practice: How the American Revolution Help Shape the U.S. Bill of Rights - Registration
- August 8-10 - MA Historical Society - The Reconstruction Era: History and Legacy - 45 PDPs or 2 grad credits - Info and RSVP
- August 15-17 - MA Historical Society - Lawrence v. Texas and LGBTQ Rights - 45 PDPs or 2 grad credits - Info and RSVP
- Perkins School for the Blind - Spring Newsletter and Resources
- PBS Learning Media - Giving Our Two Cents on Financial Responsibility
- Teaching Tolerance - How to Counter Online Hate Speech Video
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.