EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 7 for February 14, 2018
- National Humanities Alliance - Follow and Weigh in on Federal Legislation - Read more about the proposal and campaign here
- Judges needed for Massachusetts History Day - March-April. Volunteer Form Here
- Revision of History and Social Science Framework Public Comment - January 23-April 2 - Survey
- http://www.loc.gov/ will be down from Friday evening for maintenance through Monday, February 19.
Dred Scott. 1887.
From "Teaching Difficult Subjects" blog post at Library of Congress.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Why Should I Take a Course on America and World Fascism? Deepen your capacity to teach: extremism, controversial topics, how to deal with hate, 20th century ideologies. And of course, U.S. and world history.
- March 23 & 24 - 8:45am - 3:45pm - Plymouth North High School - America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond ($35). Registration.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS: Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources:
- March 12 & 22 - Dutchess County BOCES - Poughkeepsie, NY. ($35) Registration. (12 NY CEUs or grad credit).
- March 13 & April 3 - 8:30am-4:00pm - Boston ($72.50) FREE to Boston Public Schools teachers. BPS teachers contact email@example.com if you need instructions on registering. Registration.
- April 5 & 23 - 8:30am-4pm - Westford Academy. ($72.50) FREE to Westford Public Schools teachers. Registration.
- April 24 & May 15 - 8am - 4pm - Northampton ($72.50) Registration.
- April 26 & May 8 - 8am - 3pm - Danbury, CT ($89) Registration. (Click “Register for Courses”.)
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Memories of 1968 Mexico City Olympic Protest: John Carlos and Oral History
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- Feb. 22 - 10am or 1pm - Virtual Field Trip - African American Experiences in WWII - WWII Museum - Classrooms free, pre-registration required.
- February 21 - Workshop - MA Historical Society - Yankees in the West Info and Registration
- February 24 - Workshop - MA Historical Society - Slavery & the U.S. Supreme Court - Info and Registration
- March 14 - 9am-3pm - Boston - We The People Workshop Info and Contact
- ESE district grant program for revised 2017 ELA and Math, 2016 Sci and Tech Standards - proposals due March 2
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.