How to engage with the steamboat Barnet Online Exhibit
The study of the Steamboat Barnet relates to the development of regional economics and the American System.
How to use the Available Resources:
Our online activities promote the analysis of local primary documents while developing historical comprehension and chronological thinking by research how the Barnet related to the economic growth of the U.S. in the 1800’s.
The Teacher’s Room offers guidance for engaging students in Grades 8-12 with the lessons developed for the Steamboat Barnet Online Exhibit. In addition to information about using these Primary Sources in secondary classrooms, you will find an in-depth background essay for teachers specifically designed to tie national themes with this dynamic local story and provide deeper background information for teachers.
How to Use the Steamboat Barnet: Emerging Industrialism Site
Enter the exhibit through the Student tab to:
- View the different kinds of material that you can explore
- Read "Background", the narrative that provides historical background
- Meet the "Cast of Characters" that are important to the story
- Engage with five classroom "Investigations" and answer included questions to show that you understand the story
- Explore the various primary sources, multimedia maps, and timelines that bring the story to life
- Browse the sources listed in "Links and Literature" to draw your own conclusions from the evidence
- Prepare yourself to use the website and other sources to analyze and reflect on the exhibit