EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 41 for November 27, 2017
- ESE update and timeline on the Mass History and Social Studies Frameworks.
- Mass Legislature passes English Language Education opportunity–”LOOK”–bill.
- CES seeks DYS substitute teachers in Westborough.
- New Civics games online - supported by the Library of Congress.
Turmoil in Catalonia - 1936.
Spanish Civil War poster from Library of Congress Visual Materials Relating to the Spanish Civil War.
See March 23 Emerging America workshop announcement below.
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Registration & details soon. Grad credit in history available – all courses.
- February 15 to March 29 with final follow up June 7 - ONLINE - Emerging America: Immigration Issues for Diverse Learners ($35)
- March 23 & 24 - 8:45am - 3:45pm - Boston - America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond ($35)
- March 23 & March 31 - 9am - Boston Public Library Leventhal Map Center
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources:
- April 24 & May 15 - 8am - 4pm - Northampton ($72.50)
- Dates TBD - Boston ($72.50 - free to Boston Public Schools teachers)
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Hammurabi in the 1900s. A case study on different interpretations of history.
- Web Guides - How to find these useful tools!
- Library of Congress makes available MesoAmerican codex from 16th Cent.
Other Resources from the Library of Congress:
- Recorded intro webinars from the Minnesota Historical Society.
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Three new Civics games online. Supported by the Library of Congress!
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S.
- Nov. 29 - 4pm - UMass Amherst - Campus Center Rm 163C - “Dark Age of Herodotus: Shards of a Fugitive History in Medieval Europe” - Free - Scott Bruce
- Dec. 3 - 2pm Belchertown State School: Pictures and Words from Behind Bars - Ed Orzechowski - Historic Northampton
- Applications for Historic Deerfield undergrad Summer Fellows Program. Due Feb. 9.
Summer 2018 (With Stipends)
- Mt Vernon Summer Programs
- Civil War Washington - and More - Ford’s Theater (Washington, DC)
- Stanford History Education Group (SHEG) new website. https://sheg.stanford.edu/
- We the People high school book now on Actively Learn ebook platform. A great resource for civics and government! (Fees apply.) From Center for Civic Education.
- New from the Perkins School collections: online exhibit on Halifax Explosion of 1917.
- Human Rights Educators Toolkit - Amnesty International.
- Teachers of the Year recommend children’s books on social justice topics.
- MIT’s Visualizing Cultures - Japan and China. From Five Colleges East Asian Studies.
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.