EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 4, Issue 40 for November 15, 2017
- Tufts-Tisch Massachusetts survey of K-12 civic ed practice. Please complete! ($10 gift card)
- ¿Tengo algún derecho? Spanish language version of iCivics online game! Do I Have a Right? Look for the “Jugar en Español” button.
- Advice on choosing textbooks to meet new state standards. (From California History and Social Science Project.) A thoughtful process.
- CES seeks ELA/History teacher for Department of Youth Services - Lowell.
- Edison film of Yale-Princeton Football Game - 1903. Boola Boola!
- No History eNews next week (Nov. 22).
One of my favorite weird primary sources. Printed as an advertisement, a pattern for slippers for wounded soldiers in Union hospitals. (1861). See Teaching with the Library of Congress blog
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info
Can I book an Accessing Inquiry workshop in my district? YES! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Schools take in Puerto Rican students from schools closed by hurricanes.
- Using Primary Sources to Teach the Arts in High School
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Thanksgiving through political cartoons.
- Documenting the Lives of Veterans.
- Providing Comfort for Veterans of the Civil War
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S.
- Now - April 1 - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston - “Takashi Murakami: Lineage of Eccentrics”
- Nov. 15 - 4pm - UMass Amherst - “Finding Parallels… U.S. and Mexican History”
- Nov. 16 - 7pm - American Antiquarian Society - Worcester - “What a Stench! The Civil War’s Instant Cities” - Melanie Kiechle
- Nov. 27- 7 pm - Webinar - Army and the Technology of Warfare Webinar. NCHE.
- Dec. 5 - 6-9pm - American Antiquarian Society - Worcester - Hands-On History Workshop with Stephen Nissenbaum - “The Transformation of Christmas in America”
- Dec. 5 - 7-8pm - Webinar - Five Colleges East Asian Studies - “Falling into the Dragon’s Mouth”: Japan - Holly Thompson
- Dec. 12 - 7-8pm - Webinar - Five Colleges East Asian Studies - “Mapping Our Connections: Ties that Bind the U.S. and Asia”
- Jan. 27 - Feb. 3 - March 3 - 9am-3pm - Human & Physical Geography of East Asia - Keene State - New Hampshire
- Feb. 10 - 9am - 1pm - Smith College - Five Colleges East Asian Studies - Teaching China: A Contemporary Lens on Changing Gender Roles
Summer 2018 (With Stipends)
- July 8 - Washington, DC - Slavery and the Constitution - NEH
- July 16-27 - Research Triangle, NC - Contested Territory: America’s Role in Southeast Asia, 1945–75. NEH.
- WWII Women’s Army Corp - African American unit. From Black History EdZone.
- NEW. Generals who became president. From Periodic Table of the Presidents.
- Digital Literacy Resources. Teaching Tolerance.
- C-SPAN Classroom Resources - “To What Extent Should the Federal Government Impose Limits on Immigration” - Lesson plan and videos.
- Local news story about Colorado students learning Latino history.
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to email@example.com to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.