EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 7, Issue 3 for January 29, 2020
- Download 2019 Mass DESE Civics Project Guidebook PDF with working hyperlinks from updated EmergingAmerica.org Civics Civics page.
- High School Voter Challenge! Plan now to register eligible high school students prior to the March 3 Presidential Primary!
- Teaching Tolerance - Future Voters Project
- Apply for Massachusetts Historical Society Summer 2020 Teacher Fellowship! Dive into MHS archives to find primary sources for your classroom. Apply by Feb 18th. http://www.masshist.org/teaching-history/fellowships
- NCSS 100th Annual Conference (Washington, D.C.) - Call for Proposals - Due February 10
- Springfield Armory National Historic Site to be temporarily closed to visitors February 3-March 31 for historic systems updates
- Library of Congress: Jason Reynolds is Named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature
- James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation: Graduate Fellowships (Deadline March 1)
It's your America!
It's Your America! Help the ten-year roll call--1940 CENSUS, U.S.A. https://www.loc.gov/item/92503698/
Access an excellent slide show on the Census from Library of Congress TPS Consortium member Dr. Elizabeth Osborn, Indiana University Center on Representative Government! email@example.com Find it and other sources in Emerging America Teaching Resources
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES
PDPs / OR optional grad credit available from Westfield State University.
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources - Instructors: Rich Cairn & Alison Noyes. Meets state PD requirement, with attention to teachers of History and Social Science and the Humanities. PDPs or 1 graduate credit.
- March 3 & March 31 - CES, Northampton
- July 6-31 - ONLINE
- Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources - Instructors Rich Cairn & Alison Noyes. Meets state PD requirement, with attention to teachers of History and Social Science and the Humanities. PDPs or 1 graduate credit.
- FULL February 4 to March 16 - Fully ONLINE.
- March 27 & April 15 - Hudson
- History’s Mysteries - K-5 Curriculum Pilot - Instructors: Kelley Brown & Laurie Risler. PDPs or 1 graduate credit.
- NEARLY FULL February 26 to May 31. Online. Teach it in your classroom this spring.
- America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond - Instructor: Kelley Brown. Scholars Peter Carroll and Sebastiaan Faber. PDPs or 1 graduate credit.
- April 3-4 - Melrose High School
- Accessing Civic Engagement with Students with Disabilities - Instructors: Rich Cairn & Alison Noyes. 10 PDPs.
- April 13 - Hudson - $40
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Check out the many great resources posted in the TPS Teachers Network Civics Education and Civic Engagement group!
- Teaching and Responding to Antisemitism in 2020
- Health Care - Provident Hospital
- A Language With Chutzpah: Yiddish and American Culture
- Black Codes to Black Lives Matter
- Beyond MLK?
- Chicago in the 30’s
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Teaching Civic Ideals Using Primary Sources: Federalism and the Origin of Federal Air Pollution Policy
Welcome Jason Reynolds, 2020-2021 National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature!
What’s New Online? Explore Recently Digitized Collections from the Library of Congress
Explore the Frederick Douglass Digital Newspaper Collection from the Library of Congress
Teaching Civic Ideals Using Primary Sources: The Origin and Evolution of the Bill of Rights
- Applications Available for 2020 Library of Congress Summer Teacher Institute
- Ford’s Theater -
- ASOST-sponsored 2 Day Service-Learning Trainings - 8:30am-3:30pm - Registration
- February 4-5: Hadley Farms Meeting House, Hadley, MA
- March 18-19: Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth, MA
- May 6-7: Tower HIll Botanical Gardens, W. Boylston, MA
- June 2-3: Hilton Garden Inn, Devens, MA
- January 29 - 7-8pm (Webinar) - The Bill of Rights Institute: Reconstruction and Narrative: Amendments and Their Limitations - Information and Registration
- February 12 - 3-4pm - The Immigrant Learning Center: Educator Webinar - Understanding Immigration Today - Information and Registration
- February 19 - 7-8pm (Webinar) - Five College Consortium: Democracy in Taiwan - Registration
- March 13 - 6-7:30pm (Webinar) - JFK Presidential Library and Museum: Climate Change, Survival, and Deepening Our Humanity - Information and Registration
- March 17 - 8am-3pm - Bill of Rights Institute: President and the Constitution: Presidential Powers - Information and Registration
- March 25 - 8:30am-3:15pm - JFK Presidential Museum and Library: Dignity and Justice for All: Stories of Protest, Resistance, and Change - A Conference for Teachers of Grades 3-8 and School Librarians - Information and Registration
- June 1 - 8:30am-5:00pm - Mass History Alliance: History: a Massachusetts Community
- Norman B. Leventhal Map Center (Boston Public Library) - 2020 NEH Landmarks of AMerican History and Culture Workshop: Mapping a New World: Places of Colonization and Conflict in 17th-Century New England - Deadline to Apply: March 10 - Information
- July 6-10
- July 20-24
- American Bar Association - Summer Institutes - June 21-26 - Information and Applications
- TPS - Mars Hill University: Summer Institutes (In the lovely mountains of western North Carolina! - Rich)
- Center for Civic Education - Summer Institute - July 11-25 - Baltimore Information and Application
- Project Citizen Summer Research Programs - Contact for State Program Coordinators
- Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum - New Experience “Looking Back. Thinking Forward”
- Facing History and Ourselves - Black History Month Resources: Eyes on the Prize
EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events.
Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog.
- Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events.
Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org.
Content created and featured in partnership with the TPS program does not indicate an endorsement by the Library of Congress.