Arizona requires students to pass U.S. Citizenship test. Commentary by Robert Pondiscio in The Education Gadfly. http://edexcellence.net/articles/model-citizens
Give input on Elementary and Secondary Education Act Reauthorization. Currently no support for Social Studies. National Council for the Social Studies
supports Programs of National Significance.
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS TPS-CES - EVENTS
- March 14 - Newton South High School - First to Fight: American Volunteers Against Fascism in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) - Propaganda posters and letters from the Library of Congress and the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives. Peter Carroll, Stanford University, & Sebastiaan Faber, Oberlin College. Register here.
- March 21 & 28 (2-day workshop; 03/21 - 9:00am-3:00pm & 03/28 - 9:00am-1:00pm) - Landscape of Revolution - Boston Public Library Norman B. Leventhal Map Center and Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Program of the Collaborative for Educational Services. Optional 1 grad credit or 22.5 PDPs.
(All are welcome. These qualify for credit for those who are part of the 2014-2015 CES-UMass History Institute: “Migration Matters”)
NEW FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
OTHER RECOMMENDED RESOURCES & EVENTS
- Archaeology of WWI: Exploring the Trenches Today. Thursday Feb. 12. 5:00-8:00pm. At UMass Amherst Memorial Hall. Sponsored by UMass Amherst Library.
- Feb. 22 - Springfield Armory - 2:00pm – “African Americans: Breaking through Barriers” talk by Jennifer Zazo-Brown
- March 7 - Springfield Armory – “Women Ordnance Workers” - Melanie Hankins
- March 10 - Mass Council for the Social Studies one-day conference - Bridgewater State University. Register. Complete workshop proposal. $25.
- The Decorative Arts of the China Trade. Wednesdays, March 11, 18, 25, 2015. Flynt Museum, Old Deerfield, Mass. Brochure.
- Stipended Summer Programs - Applications due March 2.
- NEH - Native Americans of New England: A Historical Overview, Five Colleges - July 6-24. $2,700 stipend.
- NEH - Forge of Innovation, Emerging America - July 26-31 OR August 2-7. $1,200 stipend.
- Mt Vernon Summer Residential Program. Application due March 4.
- Film: “Who is Vincent Chin? The murder and the movement that forged Asian America.” (Murder in 1982. Film 2009). http://www.vincentwhofilm.com/about/
- Latest edition of Teaching Tolerance magazine online.
- From ASCD: Check out upcoming national tests.
- Check out Hstry - free timeline tool and let me know what you think. I have not made up my mind whether I like it.
Weekly (more or less) news & events
Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org
to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events