EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 4 for January 24, 2018
- DRAFT SOCIAL STUDIES FRAMEWORK - More info. Input SURVEY!
- Jan. 25 - 3-5pm - ESE and MCSS: Unpack the DRAFT Social Studies Frameworks - Webinar for curriculum directors, superintendents, and other district leaders. Info.
- March 5 - 4-6pm - CES, Northampton. Discussion forum on draft Social Studies Frameworks. Western Mass Social Studies PLC. Registration through ESE open soon.
- Respond to the Teaching Tolerance national school climate survey.
- I am sad to tell of the death of friend, teacher, and educational leader Patty Hogan. I miss her passion for learning and for teaching, and her ever wise counsel.
Learn Strategies for Teaching History to ALL Learners
Workshops in Boston, Westford, and Northampton
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS:
- March 23 & 24 - 8:45am - 3:45pm - Plymouth North High School - America and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond ($35). Registration.
- Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources:
- March 12 & 22 - Dutchess County BOCES - Poughkeepsie, NY. ($35) Registration. (12 NY CEUs or grad credit).
- March 13 & April 3 - 8:30am-4:00pm - Boston ($72.50) FREE to Boston Public Schools teachers. BPS teachers contact email@example.com if you need instructions on registering. Registration.
- April 5 & 23 - 8:30am-4pm - Westford Academy. ($72.50) FREE to Westford Public Schools teachers. Registration.
- April 24 & May 15 - 8am - 4pm - Northampton ($72.50) Registration. Hands-on workshop to learn and practical skills for teaching diverse learners.
“Accessing Inquiry” courses meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Link to renewal regulations. Optional 1 Westfield State University grad credit in History available.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- How are you implementing the C3 in your school and district?
- Portraiture and History.
- Female Aviators.
- Erie Canal.
- State of the Union Address.
Other Resources at the Library of Congress:
- Flickr Commons - Help crowdsource images. Great student project!
Library of Congress Summer Institutes 2018. Free. (You pay for travel and lodging.) General Focus – open to K-12 educators across all content areas:
- June 18-June 22
- June 25-June 29
- July 30-August 3
WWI Focus – recommended for K-12 educators who teach some aspect of WWI as part of their curriculum, or collaborate with those who do:
- July 9-July 13
Science, Technology, and Engineering Focus – recommended for K-12 educators who teach science, technology, or engineering, or collaborate with those who do:
- July 16-July 20
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- All the Way to Mars: Young Readers Center
- Summer 2018 Institutes - Info and Application.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- Jan. 28 - 2-3pm - Historic Deerfield - Lecture series: Risky Business: Crime in the Early Republic.
- Feb. 7 - 6:00-7:30pm - Reconsidering King Philip’s War - Lisa Brooks - Mass Historical Society
- Feb. 8 - 6-7:30pm - Black Civil War Regiments - Douglas Egerton - Mass Historical Society
- Feb. 15 - 1-2pm - Webinar - Using primary sources to spark writing. Waynesburg Univ.
- Feb. 17 - 10:30am - JFK Library. Exploring China through Music with Shaw Pong Liu.
- Feb. 21 - all day - Yankees in the West. Mass Historical Society.
- Feb. 24 - 9am - 4pm - Slavery & the U.S. Supreme Court. Mass Historical Society.
- March 24 & April 28 - 3:30am - 1:30pm - Bridgewater State. Mass Geography Network.
- March 9 - 9am - 3pm - Bridgewater State University - Going Global on Geography Education conference. MCSS. http://www.masscouncil.org/
- April 12-14 - NERC - Hartford - Bob Bain, Kathy Swann, workshops, & more! - Register.
- Civility. Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial & Museum Student Essay Contest.
- Mass History Day.
- The Roots of Our Immigration Crisis. California History and Social Science Project.
- George Washington and Slavery. Mt Vernon.
- JFK Inauguration.
- Digital Public Library - Erie Canal.
- Students weigh in on #MeToo and #TimesUp. Teaching Tolerance.
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published most Wednesdays; deadline Monday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook. Hi