APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MARCH 9 for Forge of Innovation NEH Summer Workshop due to tough winter. http://EmergingAmerica.org/NEH
Controversy over new AP U.S. History curriculum. The Atlantic online
Follow us on Twitter @EmergingAmerica
and on Facebook
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS Teaching with Primary Sources @ the Collaborative
- Last chance register! First to Fight: American Volunteers Against Fascism in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) – For teachers of World History, U.S. History, and Spanish Language and Culture.
March 14 - Newton South HS. Peter Carroll, Stanford, & Sebastiaan Faber, Oberlin. Register by Feb. 28.
- A few slots left. History in Motion: Developing Primary Source Sets of Images, Sound Files, Maps, Oral Histories, and Film. Bob Allison, Suffolk Univ. Access multi-media primary sources.
Mon. March 16; Sat. May 2; & 1 2-hr follow-up TBD. Complete project and earn $400 stipend. Also earn 22.5 PDPs or 1 grad credit from Framingham State University. Preference to Boston teachers. Register.
- June 29 to July 2 (with ½-day follow-up in October) - America Comes of Age: Exploring Reform in the Early 20th Century (1900-1940) - Library of Congress TPS Program at CES. Eric Arnesen, Professor, George Washington University. Kelley Brown and Laurie Risler, teacher-leaders.
- July 24 - Disability History - Graham Warder, Keene State University & Laurie Block, Disability History Museum. Perkins School for the Blind, Watertown.
- Teaching Primary Sources with Diverse Learners: Blending History & Common Core Instruction. (aka: Creating High Quality Learning Environments.) Audrey Morse:
- July 22-23, Northampton – co-led by teacher, Laurie Risler.
- July 28-29 or 29-30, Boston Area co-led by teacher, Adam Ingano.
NEW FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
Teacher Blog posts:
OTHER RECOMMENDED RESOURCES & EVENTS
- March 11 & 12 Service-Learning Planning & Implementation workshop. http://www.doe.mass.edu/conference/?ConferenceID=5985
- K-16 Educator Workshop, Muslims in China, Prof. Jonathan Lipman,Saturday, April 11, 9:30-11:30am, Amherst College.
- Springfield Armory exhibit “Springfield Armory Goes to Hollywood,” April 18 to September 30.
- Receive weekly updates on events region-wide from Five College Center for East Asian Studies. Email request to: email@example.com
- June 1 - Massachusetts Conference on Service and Volunteering - Framingham. Info.
- Flow of History 2015 Summer Institute—Community Forensics: Using Place to Teach Social Studies & Science—June 23-26, Grafton, VT Join social studies and science educators in place-based explorations of the forests, rivers, bridges and historic resources of the town, as a model for how to explore your own communities. Each day a project-based inquiry will integrate Common Core ELA strategies and NGSS, and connect to your classroom practice. $450; grad credit available. To register: www.flowofhistory.org.
Weekly (more or less) news & events
Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org
to be removed from this list.
Register for CES events