- “Accessing Inquiry” courses for History-Social Studies-Humanities teachers (below) meet Mass license renewal requirements for 15-hours PD on students with disabilities or 15-hours PD on English Learners. Link to renewal regulations.
- “At least 15 PDPs related to SEI or English as a Second Language.”
- “At least 15 PDPs related to training in strategies for effective schooling for students with disabilities and instruction of students with diverse learning styles.”
WINTER-SPRING EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - InfoHow can I support struggling learners to succeed in History-Social Studies?
- Accessing Inquiry for Student with Disabilities through Primary Sources. Meets 15-hour requirement. $65. Grad credit available for extra fee. REGISTER.
- Jan. 11 & Feb. 6 - Plymouth North HS. Sharon Jones & Rich Cairn.
- April 13 & 27 - Northampton. Laurie Risler & Rich Cairn.
- Accessing Inquiry for English Learners through Primary Sources. March 27 & April 11. 8am - 4pm. Northampton. Albert Mussad & Rich Cairn. $65. REGISTER. (Registration open soon.)
- Immigration Issues in Perspective for Diverse Students. March 15 - May 3. Online Course. $65. Grad credit available for extra fee. REGISTER.
- American and World Fascism: From the Spanish Civil War to Nuremberg and Beyond - In English with Spanish language breakout. $25. Optional grad credit available for fee. Teaching Humanities. March 31 & April 1. Holyoke. REGISTER.
RESOURCES @ THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- Library of Congress free webinars. Includes “Books Go to War” in WWII. Dec. 7 - 4pm. PixRegister.
- Rosa Parks Collection - explore the collection in this video. Watch.
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS and RESOURCES - Statewide & on the Web
- Environmental Literacy in History & Social Science. California History & Social Science Project. Webinars and recordings. http://chssp.ucdavis.edu/programs/environment
- JFK Library - Profiles in Courage Student Essay Contest. Deadline Jan. 4. Cash prizes! https://www.jfklibrary.org/Education/Profile-in-Courage-Essay-Contest.aspx
- Bill of Rights Foundation Founders Fellowships - Summer 2017 http://billofrightsinstitute.org/apply-founders-fellowship-2017/
- Portable mini-planetarium. Current content is mostly astronomy, but watch for geography and other social studies. http://digitaliseducation.com/
- Canva - photoshop light. https://www.canva.com/
- Pixel Press Floors - coding. http://www.projectpixelpress.com/
- Tinkercad - 3d modeling. https://www.tinkercad.com/
- Plickers - digital assessment. https://www.plickers.com/
- Prowise - unbreakable LARGE screen computer display rotates like a hospital bed. (Can go vertical, horizontal, or any angle.) This would be great for students to access maps, sort photos, or examine documents. http://www.elbglobal.com/prowise-interactive-touch-panels