EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 36 for September 26, 2018
- Learn about 8th Grade Civics standards and the We the People Program. Western & Eastern MA options. FREE. Free copy of text, $40 stipend, & free food! Easthampton - Sat., Oct. 13. Montrose - Sat., Nov. 3. 10am - 3pm. For info contact Kelley Brown: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by James Madison Legacy Project. JMLP We the People Registration
- Mass Council for the Social Studies holds webinar series Unpacking the 2018 History and Social Science Curriculum Framework. Session 1 is Oct. 1, 4pm. Register.
- There is a LOT going on at the Mass Council for the Social Studies. Don't miss any of these fabulous opportunities. JOIN MCSS NOW! http://www.masscouncil.org/
- Free apps on civics from the Library of Congress - Info
- Oct. 15 - 5:00-6:30pm - Webinar - Understanding the Standards for History and Social Sciences Practice - Kelley Brown, Easthampton High School - Exciting new skills component of the 2018 Social Studies standards. Register.
Stay in Touch with Social Studies Leaders
as we implement the exciting new Framework!
Hoffman Island, merchant marine training center off Staten Island, New York. Class in semaphore signaling
Hoffman Island, merchant marine training center off Staten Island,
New York. Class in semaphore signalling - July 1942
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration.
Contact email@example.com. HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES Accessing Inquiry for Students with Disabilities through Primary Sources. Meets 15-hour Massachusetts requirement for professional development on teaching students with disabilities. Earn 22.5 PDPs or 1 grad credit (extra fee applies) from Westfield State University. Directly supports content and Practice Standards of 2018 Massachusetts History and Social Science Curriculum Framework! Offered twice: Register.
- Oct. 24 and Nov. 8 - CES, Northampton.
- Nov. 7 and Nov. 14 - Drury High School, North Adams (Free to North Adams teachers.)
Special one-day workshop on Accessing Inquiry for English Learners (no PDPs or grad credit):
- Oct. 10 - 8am - 3:00pm - EdAdvance, Danbury Connecticut. Note separate registration page.
Integrating Civic Engagement Projects Across the Curriculum. How will YOU meet the new Massachusetts requirement to offer civic engagement projects? Learn the basics. Generate and test fly a specific action plan. Taught by national service-learning and civic engagement leader, Rich Cairn. Register.
- Oct. 4 and Nov. 28 - CES, Northampton.
- Jan. 23 and March 13 - CES, Northampton.
Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. Examine new 2018 Massachusetts History and Social Science Curriculum Framework and develop plans to align your curriculum. Access a wealth of primary and secondary resources. Led by veteran K-5 teacher Laurie Risler. Register.
- Oct. 16 and 25 - CES, Northampton.
World Geography and History: Designing Grades 6-7. Gain content knowledge in World History and Geography. Unpack, examine, and align courses to new History and Social Science standards. Offered twice. Register.
- Nov. 15 and Dec. 6 - CES, Northampton.
- Jan. 29 and Feb. 5 - CES, Northampton.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week - YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- Five Questions with Anne Holmes, Digital Content Manager, Poetry and Literature Center
- Five Questions with John Fenn, Head, Research and Programs, American Folklife Center
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- October 1 - 5:30pm - UMass History Department (UMass Student Union - Cape Cod Lounge) - Imagining Community, Living in Community - Speakers share from around the globe. - Info
- October 9 - 6-8pm - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library - Above and Beyond: NASA’s Journey to Tomorrow - Register
- October 17 - 6pm - UMass History Department (Goodell Hall - Bernie Dallas Room) - 21st Century Socialism: Venezuela’s Communes in Historical Perspective - Info
- October 23 - 6-7:30pm - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library - US Foreign Policy and Russia - Register
- March 21-24, 2019 - George Washington Institute - Spring Residential Program - Info
- Save the Date: May 7, 2019 - Massachusetts Conference on Volunteerism
- iCivics - Midterm Elections Mini-lesson (High School) - Info
- Subscribe to the Five Colleges Center for East Asian Studies weekly update for a host of resources and workshops, including trips to China!
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.