EMERGING AMERICA HISTORY eNEWS Vol. 5, Issue 24 for June 13, 2018
- NY Times online article on state of civics education in the nation - Article
- Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies (MCSS) - Fall One Day Conference “E Pluribus Unum: Out of Many, One - Call for Workshop Proposals
- National Regional Council for the Social Studies (NERC) - March 18-19, 2019 - Call for Proposals
Civics Projects Are Coming: Get Ready for It!
July 18-20 - Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement & Social Studies
Share with elementary colleagues. Register.
Schenectady, New York. Sixth graders at the Elmer Avenue Elementary School bringing a war map up to date. This map is changed daily. News is gotten from the morning papers and the radio in the classroom (June 1943)
EVENTS @ EMERGING AMERICA - Info & Registration. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HISTORY AND CIVICS EDUCATION COURSES:
- July 5 - August 5 - Fully online. The American War in Vietnam - Kelley Brown and Chris Appy. $35. Register.
- July 18-20 - CES, Northampton - Teaching Grades K-5 Civic Engagement and Social Studies. $125. Register.
- July 30-31 - Boston Public Library - Immigration and Maps - Register.
ACCESSING INQUIRY FOR ALL LEARNERS June sessions cancelled. Contact email@example.com if your district would like to host this course at no charge to the district or to teachers from the district.
- CANCELLED - June 26-27 - North Adams ($72.50) Free to teachers of North Adams Public Schools.
- CANCELLED - June 28-29 - Springfield ($72.50) Free to teachers of Springfield Public Schools.
NEW RESOURCES AT THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
- TPS Teachers Network - Teachers with experience working with primary sources are welcome to join this network.
- Featured this week - YOU MUST LOG-IN FIRST FOR THESE LINKS TO WORK:
- Feature Discussions:
Library of Congress Teacher Blog http://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/
- History Isn’t Boring! Final thoughts from a year well spent
OTHER RECOMMENDED EVENTS - Across Massachusetts and the U.S
- June 17 - 2-4pm - JFK Library (Boston) - A Celebration of Nelson Mandela’s Centenary - Info and Registration
- June 22-23 - Historic Deerfield - Religious Spaces: Our Vanishing Landmarks - Info and Registration
- June 27 - 6-9pm - JFK Library (Boston) - Kennedy Library Foundation’s NFN Summer Celebration - Info and Registration
- July 5 - Historic Deerfield Summer Lecture Series - "Digging Beantown: Uncovering Community Identity through Public Archaeology in Boston” - Info
- July 9-13 - The College Of Education, Bridgewater State University The Center For Indic Studies, UMass Dartmouth & The School Of Indic Studies, Institute Of Advanced Sciences, Dartmouth, MA - Perspective on Teaching India for the K-12 Classroom - Info and Application
- July 12 - Historic Deerfield Summer Lecture Series - "The Other Home of Washington: Recovering the General's Revolutionary War Field Headquarters" - Info
- July 19 - Historic Deerfield Summer Lecture Series - "Uncovering Hidden Histories through the Portrait of a Woman in Silk" - Info
- July 28 - History Camp Pioneer Valley - Info
- Teaching Tolerance - Southern Poverty Law Center, Whose Heritage? Report: A Teaching Opportunity Civil War memorials.
- JFK Presidential Library - Remembering Robert F. Kennedy’s 1968 Campaign
********************************** EmergingAmerica.org History eNews welcomes YOUR news & events. Published Wednesdays; deadline Sunday noon. Archived at http://EmergingAmerica.org/blog. - Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from this list. Register for CES events. Teacher-created lessons, primary source sets, & assessments at: http://EmergingAmerica.org. Follow Emerging America on Twitter and Facebook.